Driving lessons or motorcycle training is prohibited in England because of the national lockdown.
You can learn to drive in these conditions:
- Someone can supervise you from your household or support bubble during an essential journey
- You are a Mobile emergency worker. If you have an emergency driving test booked via your employer
From 29 March 2021
From 29 March 2021 at the earliest, you’ll be allowed to:
- restart motorcycle compulsory basic training (CBT) and other types of motorcycle training.
From 12 April 2021
From 12 April 2021 (at the earliest), you’ll be allowed to restart:
- Driving lessons CAR
- Driving lessons CAR and TRAILER
On the same date, the following types of tests will restart:
- Theory tests
- Motorcycle tests
- car and trailer driving tests
This date is subject to change and will be confirmed nearer the time. Watch out for the announcement on 05/04/2021 for more updates.
From 22 April 2021
From 22 April 2021 (at the earliest):
- Car driving tests will restart
This date is subject to change and will be confirmed nearer the time. We are following the announcement on 05/04/2021 for more updates.
You must not provide driving lessons or motorcycle training in mainland Scotland because of the temporary lockdown.
You can supervise someone from your household or support bubble during an essential journey during the temporary lockdown.
Driving lessons and motorcycle training can take place in areas in protection level 3.
You must not provide driving lessons or motorcycle training in Wales if it’s at alert level 4.
However, you can:
- supervise someone from your household or support bubble during an essential journey in alert level 4 areas
- teach a mobile emergency worker if they have an emergency driving test booked via their employer
Teaching mobile emergency workers with an emergency driving test booked
You can teach mobile emergency workers who have a confirmed emergency driving test booking in England and Wales.
This service is only available to:
- NHS health and social care workers
- the emergency services
- local councils
To be eligible, your pupil must both:
- need to drive as part of their job
- respond to ‘threats to life’ as part of their job
Your pupil should talk to their employer to find out if they’re eligible and how to apply.
This service is not available in Scotland.
You must not teach anyone who only has a routine driving test booked – even if they are an NHS health and social care worker, emergency services worker or local council worker.
What you need during lessons
During any driving lessons with your pupil, you must have:
- a copy of your emergency test booking confirmation email
- a copy of the application request from their employer
You can use these to prove you’re allowed to teach during lockdown if the police stop you.
You must follow the guidance about working safely during coronavirus.
- Theory tests and driving tests
- There’s separate guidance about how theory tests and driving tests are affected by a coronavirus.
You can still book and manage tests.
Driving test centre waiting rooms
Not all driving test centre waiting rooms are open because of coronavirus.
There are temporary rules for using open waiting rooms.
Sending information to the NHS Test and Trace service
DVSA will share your details and your instructor details with the relevant NHS service if a DVSA member of staff you had close contact with both:
- develops coronavirus symptoms within 48 hours of your driving test
- tests positive for coronavirus after their symptoms developed
Wear a face covering in Scotland
You and your pupil must wear face coverings during driving lessons and practice sessions.
If you do not wear a face covering, you must have a good reason, for example:
- you have a physical or mental illness, impairment or disability
- wearing it would cause you severe distress
- you and the person you’re teaching live in the same household
Wearing glasses does not count as a good reason.
You can be fined £60 if you do not wear a face-covering during a Scotland driving lesson. This will be reduced to £30 if you pay within 28 days.